american hospital association social media panel
out of 62
Post on 23-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONI am on a panel this weekend in Washington, D.C. for the American Hospital Association. Here are my slides.
- Lee Aase Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media May 4, 2014 Social Media Synergy in Healthcare
- Three Claims to Fame for Rochester, MN Mayo Clinic Patients from every U.S. state and >140 countries every year More than 1 of 5 travel >500 miles Celebrating Sesquicentennial this year IBMs largest facility (in square feet), and...
- Agenda How social networking built Mayo Clinics brand How changes in the media landscape have created opportunities (and challenges) Bottom-line benefits of applying social media: Two Case Studies Future directions and applications
- 2011 MFMER | 3139261- 150 Years Ago
- A precipitating event in 1883...
- 2011 MFMER | 3139261-
- Mayo Clinics First Social Networkers
- 2011 MFMER | 3139261- Social Networking is part of the Mayo Clinic DNA and is fundamental to health care
- 2011 MFMER | 3139261- From their day through most of the 20th Century, reaching large audiences via media was simple but expensive...
- 2011 MFMER | 3139261- ...or you could earn an audience by getting past one of these gatekeepers
- Then along came the Internet:
- 2011 MFMER | slide-20 Sources of Information Influencing Preference for Mayo Clinic Consumer Brand Monitor, Base: Respondents who prefer Mayo Clinic; *differs significantly from Q2-2010 5 5 13 25 26 29 33 48 62 82Word of mouth News stories Hospital ratings Internet MD recommendation Personal experience Advertising Direct mail Social media Insurance plan 2010 study (n=119)
- Mayo Clinic Medical Edge Syndicated News Media Resources
- First Foray in New Media Existing Medical Edge radio mp3s Launched Sept. 05 Downloads increased 8,217% Oct. vs. Aug.
- Beyond the Hypochondriac feed
- Mayo Clinic Medical Edge Sample Sound Bite
- Involuntary Social Network Representation myspace.com/mayoclinic
- Facebook: 11/7/07
- The Revolutionary impact of consumer-grade video
- Dramatically increased number of videos and depth of content
- 2011 MFMER | 3139261- Opening New Opportunities and Shifting the Balance in Media and Social Networking From simple and expensive to complex and free Overcoming barriers of time and space Diminishing big media oligopoly From Almighty Dollar to King Content From MacArthur to McGyver
- Case Study #1: The Power of Consumer-Grade Video
- Unique Myelofibrosis Patients 0 100 200 300 400 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 MCF MCA
- Case Study #2: Traditional and Social Media Synergy
- My Excellent Phillies Adventure
- Social and Traditional Media Synergy YouTube video leads to USA Today story USA Today story leads to #wristpain Twitter chat with explanatory videos and trainee list Twitter chat leads to patient procedure and blog post Blog post leads to USA Today story
- A 2009 Email from Dr. Noseworthy Paraphrased version: I know were doing a lot in social media, but have we considered whether a bigger investment is warranted? January 2010 meeting Dr. Noseworthy and Shirley Weis endorsed concept of Center for Social Media Planning team from across Mayo gathered Announced MCCSM in July 2010
- Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media The Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media exists to improve health globally by accelerating effective application of social media tools throughout Mayo Clinic and spurring broader and deeper engagement in social media by hospitals, medical professionals and patients. Our Mission: Lead the social media revolution in health care, contributing to health and well being for people everywhere.
- 2011 MFMER | slide-40 A Catalyst for Social Media
- Social Media Health Network Membership group associated with Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media For organizations wanting to use social media to promote health, fight disease and improve health care Much content available through free Guest account Dues based on organization revenues, and individual paid memberships also are available
- THE Book on Social Media in Health Care Essays from 30 thought leaders The Why? of social media in health care Net proceeds fund patient scholarships Available on Amazon and discount bulk orders on CreateSpace (with offer code Z4L7DBSN)
- Applying Social Media Throughout Mayo Clinic Mayo Clinic Connect community Mayo Clinic News Network Research Recruitment for clinical trials Therapeutic applications Education Continuing education promotion Integration within courses
- Social Media Residency One-day crash course Intro to tools and hands-on experience Strategic framework for application
- 2011 MFMER | 3139261-
- For Further Interaction: Google Lee Aase or MCCSM @LeeAase on Twitter For Social Media Health Network information http://network.socialmedia.mayoclinic.org/ mccsm/joining-the-network/ Contact Mayo Clinic Center for Social Media By email: email@example.com By phone: 507-538-1091
View more >