community management workshop - amanda foley
Post on 27-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONCommunity Management 101. - A conceptual grasp of community management - The value of community management - Turning community members into advocates - and more
- by ....Amanda Tiffany Foley (@_AmandaFoley) Community Manager, Government Digital Services Freelance Community Strategist + Writer COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT: ! A WORKSHOP
- Introduction Dont Call Me A Social Media Manager! Elements of Community Management The Value of Building Community Talking vs. Listening Tools Of The Trade Resources Q & A (A ROUGH) AGENDA
- INTRODUCTION Currently: Diving into the world of Digital Government + Freelancing with London tech startups ! Before: Marketing @ audience.io UK Community Manager Gogobot.com Marketing @ School for Creative Startups Community Manager @ TechHub London ! HI, IM AMANDA
- .AND AS A HUMAN BEING coffee snob standup comedy obsessive early adopter / tech nerd doctor who lover one of 8 children hockey-loving canadian expat
- DONT CALL ME A SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER! (AND DONT CALL YOURSELF ONE, EITHER)
- (SOME) ELEMENTS OF COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT social engagement ofine support strategy content problem solving storytelling turning your community members into advocates information architecture product development data analysis & growth
- At the end of the day, your community manager is your teams most valuable asset, in regards to learning about and communicating with your users. Leverage them on your team accordingly. ! - @SJW Sarah Judd Welch, Founder of LoyalCX
- .but lets dig a little deeper.
- ELEMENTS OF COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT ! ! What is it not about: ! It is not just about Twitter It is not broadcast only It is not just pushing out content It is not just worrying about maximum reach or followers !
- ELEMENTS OF COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT ! What it is about: ! Complete engagement within a high complexity market, in which services, products, and users are completely intertwined Going to where they are, not making them come to you Gathering feedback and putting it to use Getting to know your users Acting as a knowledge source and resource hub and much, much more
- ELEMENTS OF COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT OFFLINE + SUPPORT ! ! As a result of being the link between the community and the organisation, A CM (can) become the known or go-to ofine advocate / evangelist A Community Manager is not a customer support agent, but it is about helping and pointing people in the right direction Community is about being helpful and building trust ! ! !
- ELEMENTS OF COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT STRATEGY + CONTENT ! Community Managers are the main liaison between the community and the organisation. Meaning: ! You are front-line when understanding what type of content works well You can see a wider picture of things like user experience, sentiment, support queries, content engagement rates and conversation You must constantly listen, adapt their own strategies, and advise other teams within the organisation based on ndings ! !
- ELEMENTS OF COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT SOLVE PROBLEMS ! ! Know your product, company or organisation inside and out. Know it better than the engineers know it. ! Knowing your community inside and out. Offer up invaluable feedback on who and where your users are, what they think, how they operate ! Be able to jump-in and create solutions to problems based on your intimate relationship with the community !
- Compelling storytelling is the foundation for building strong social relationships and brand advocacy. Persuasive, shareable, and detailed, your brands story will create deep consumer connections. ! -Hessie Jones, CEO of ArCompany
- ELEMENTS OF COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT STORYTELLING ! Tell the story of your organisation Let the story communicate what your brand, product or community is all about. ! ! Tell the story of your community members Turn community members into advocates ! ! ! !
- ! ! ! TURNING COMMUNITY MEMBERS ! INTO ADVOCATES ! (OR, WHY PAYING INFLUENCERS TO TWEET ABOUT YOU IS OVERRATED)
- Dont confuse audience with inuence.
- Brand Advocates are dened by: ! Highly satised customers Very likely to recommend your brand Wanting to help friends Loyal Has a genuine passion for your product or organisation Doesnt require incentives (unlike a paying an inuencer)
- ELEMENTS OF COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT INFORMATION ARCHITECTURE + PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ! Feeding the information youve gathered onto the rest of your team on a regular basis (i.e. most frequently requested features) Having a strong community / product feedback loop Clearer = better. What improvements can be made to reduce support tickets? ! ! ! !
- ELEMENTS OF COMMUNITY MANAGEMENT ANALYSIS + MEASURING SUCCESS ! Measure the quality of relationships Measure the sentiment. Happy community = advocates = $$ Measure what your learned from your community, what you learned from listening to the conversation around your product, how it made your product better Measure Social Engagement. Crunch the numbers. Establish with your team what your quantitative goals are when it comes to page views, log-ins, conversions, user growth, content amplication, etc
- The Value of Building Community ! Most people switch for better. ! Without a doubt, there's a slot in every market for the cheap enough, good enough alternative. ! But rapid growth and long-term loyalty come from being better instead. ! When your product or your service doesn't measure up, the answer probably isn't to lower your price or offer a refund to the disappointed customer. Instead, the alternative is to invest in making it better. So much better that people can't help but talk about itand so much better that they would truly miss it if it were gone. ! ! - Seth Godin
- ! LETS TALK ABOUT: ! TALKING VS. LISTENING
- Listening = Learning ! Learning = Doing Something About It ! Doing Something About It = Making It Better
- LETS TALK ABOUT: TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- RESOURCES Some of my favourites: Following #cmgr conversations on twitter The LoyalCX Blog Sarah Judd Welch (LoyalCX), David Spinks (CMX Summit, David Noel (VP of Community at SoundCloud) Community Management Conferences (with a grain of salt) The Full Start Blog, written by WeWork Labs Read, Read, Read Try, Fail, Learn, Try, Learn Some More
- Q&A TIME [email protected] Questions? ! @_AmandaFoley on Twitter Find the workshop slides: bit.ly/amandafoley