digitalfilipino getting investors
Post on 13-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONAttracting overseas investors as a Filipino startup
- 1. Attracting Investorsfor your Business Tactics & ExperiencesFrom the field. Michael Michelini
2. Todays Agenda
- Understanding the mentality of an investor
- Building trust
- Why do you need investment?
- What are you willing to give up?
- After the investment
- Real experience - saleslion
- Real experience NewYorkbarstore
- New project - ClearCafe
3. Understanding Mentality of an Investor
- Investors come in all shapes & sizes
- Believe you should first look for angels / strategic partners in the west.
- It isnt always directly cash investment
- Can be also strategic partnership in sales / operations
- They normally want to be sure
- You are reliable
- You will be there when times get tough
- You are on their side
4. A Business is like a Ship
- Boat infrastructure. your product /service
- Map strategy
- Wind finance / financial investment
- Sailors your team
5. Crist (Jesus Christ) Formula
- (C x R x I) / S = T ---- CRIST
- C = Credibility
- R = Reliability
- I = Intimacy
- S = Self Orientation
- T = Trust
6. What do you need the investment for?
- How much?
- Why, for what?
- How long for payback?
- How long will this last?
- What do you currently have?
- Upfront? Monthly?
7. Investors from various sources
- Trade associations
- Be creative!
8. What are you offering?
- Financial obligations
- Will spend decent amount of time with investor
- Technical? Marketing?Local agent?
9. Rev Share Partnership
- MUST have trust on both sides
- Example 25% of adjusted gross margin (after inventory + shipping)
- Try to take position of power
- Receiving the money
- 5 year length
- You believe in the project more than the other
10. Got the deal! Now its just begun.
- Dont pop the champagne so quickly
- Now you need to deliver!!!
- Youve been given a chance
11. Being Reliable
- Taking an investment is also taking a job
- Be prepared to report regularly
- Daily, weekly, monthly checkups?
- Showing the investor you are putting your full effort
12. Case Study - SalesLion
- Finland based investor
- Found us online as another name
- Saw we were in China
- Wanted IT partner in Asia
- Trusted Us
- Read blogs
- Month to month operating budget
13. Example - NewYorkBarStore
- Started in 2004 in NYC apt.
- Had lots of open passion
- Complementary skillset
- Investment was for inventory to grow sales
- Investor was also aligned interests
- Investor was also too busy to help, though he planned to be more involved.
14. Current Case- ClearCafe
- I want to be angel investor in Philippines
- Find good talent here
- Good P.R. and marketing
- Long term investment
- Think from perspective of an investor
- What type of investor / money do you want?
- Realize this will be more pressure
16. Question & Answer
- Michael Michelini
@michelini Weibo @michelini Facebook.com/michelini